theweirdprogrammingworld

Anybody in the technology related world is given undue prominence.

Sunday, July 03, 2005

The mothered word -strategy

It has been a few days since I heard the word strategy. More than a month since I heard it since I moved to a new assignent where the otherwise overused term seems conspicuously absent. There has been strategic advice, strategic decisions, strategic differentiators, strategically focused, strategic partners...and a lot more stretching till the washroom. Quite a few people I know go berserk the moment they hear strategy - and begin an unending intellectualisation rhetoric that reminds me of the ordeal of being in an enclosed room with the motor running. It's pretty common to do strategy presentation these days at the drop of a hat - well, when you have nothing else, your mind works like a factory - some people call it strategic thinking and converts the same into a ppt and shoves into some poor souls. The person who initiated the word stategy must be feeling absolutely thrilled for I heard a 3rd grade kid shouting to his friends to place the ball strategically. Well, to say the least I was startled, stuttering for a few seconds and almost collapsed. This kid could grow up and potentially kill a lot of people strategically.

The self proclaimed consultants utters this word at least a 1000 times - well, I certainly don't want to be one. For me, strategy is a practical WOW idea. Deploying resources efficiently to implement it forms part of the strategy. Ensuring it gets implemented is the end. Period.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home